Saturday, July 19, 2008

Buffet Style Dinning

I recently visited MING’S “all you can eat” buffet style restaurant, located in Queens, NY. Whenever I think of a buffet restaurant, I automatically think of food that has been left out for hours on end and not being too fresh. I was reluctant to re-visit yet another one of these buffet style restaurants. Many people enjoy them because it offers a variety of foods which you can immediately access without having to wait. So I took another chance and looked for the following criteria’s: Atmosphere, Service, and of course the food quality. Today's buffet restaurants are very popular, with an up front price for the entire meal including desert and beverages it is an alluring deal. A variety of foods are available at a reasonable price. At a buffet restaurant, you can serve yourself large or small portions, based on the size of your appetite. Still some people prefer the traditional restaurant service by being waited on from the start to finish of your meal.

As I entered the restaurant I was greeted by a smiling hostess who showed me to my seat. Along the way I noticed pictures of fine art from china displaying manicured landscapes. Continuing along the winding path I passed many filled tables with people as they enjoyed their food. The restaurant’s layout provides privacy for many more tables in the restaurant. The restaurant is relatively clean, and the dress code is casual. I am seated by the hostess at a medium size table topped in a basic white table cloth. The lighting is supplied by a hanging stained glass lampshade with high backed cushioned booth seats which were meant to encourage relaxation. The hostess continues to shower me with attention by offering a beverage of my choice.

The relaxed family atmosphere makes conversation natural, encouraging people to linger as they eat. To my left are entrees: a row of dishes that has everything from eggs Benedict and waffles to prime ribs, and grilled mixed peppers, which were tasty as well as tender. To my right were desserts of cheese cake, peach cobble, chocolate cakes were on a long table that stretched from the drinks station to a chocolate fountain. I tried the chocolate cake topped with vanilla ice cream which was not as tasty as it looked. There also were cinnamon buns, Danishes, and fruit; which I tried together and was very please at the combination. There were marshmallows and graham crackers to dunk S’mores. The other entrees were lasagna that I found to be delicious, a build your own taco station with taco shells, ground beef with all the necessary ingredients for a messy feast.

Turning toward the Chef located at the cooking station which had a very long line for service. The station offered slices of roast beef, roast pork or omelet’s on demand. On the other side of the restaurant were overloaded tables of fresh salads and fruit, cheese platters and mounds of seafood on ice. Every so often the smiling hostess would return to check for any drink refill requests of my previous selection. By the end of my second plateful I was both stuffed and happy.

Including the tax and tip the price is sure to please any budget conscience consumer. This restaurant experience was in deed an exception to the rule, all of the food here was fresh and appetizing. I found the food to be delicious and tasty. The service and atmosphere were exceptional. There is something here for everyone to enjoy.

No comments: